Rune Factory 5

Rune Factory 5

View Stats:
Legion Grimclaw 26 Sep @ 8:14pm
2
2
3
2
2
4
so i played this on switch and honestly my biggest let down was
controversial take in the modern era, but its the same sex romance.

Now look i know what the instant push back is , Oh oyu are being homophobic. but hear me out here.

Some of the best interactions in RF4 as a male characters were with other male characters. Not because of romance but because the comedic bromance setting. Because this game effectively forces everyone romanceable in the village to be potentially bi by default so instead of just joking around and having fun banter with those of the same gender they eventually start blushing and acting akward about it towards you. and quite frankly its really jarring. Can't they just make a switch to turn that on or off when you start the game and write and voice in some new lines to get those oldschool style bromances back in the game for those who do not wish to be courted by the same sex as if they were the opposite?

Also obligatory, all the moms are better options than the actual bachelorretes joke.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Originally posted by Legion Grimclaw:
controversial take in the modern era, but its the same sex romance.

Now look i know what the instant push back is , Oh oyu are being homophobic. but hear me out here.

Some of the best interactions in RF4 as a male characters were with other male characters. Not because of romance but because the comedic bromance setting. Because this game effectively forces everyone romanceable in the village to be potentially bi by default so instead of just joking around and having fun banter with those of the same gender they eventually start blushing and acting akward about it towards you. and quite frankly its really jarring. Can't they just make a switch to turn that on or off when you start the game and write and voice in some new lines to get those oldschool style bromances back in the game for those who do not wish to be courted by the same sex as if they were the opposite?

Also obligatory, all the moms are better options than the actual bachelorretes joke.
I really wish that was the case also , it's frankly the biggest reason for me not to buy it.
Endora 27 Sep @ 5:31am 
What one like another one will dislike, that's the life and, as long as there is mutual respect, it will be all ok.

However, considering how little games let so freedom to the players and how the majority are restrictively gender binded, I'm very happy to see that is space to all kinds of games in the world.
Last edited by Endora; 27 Sep @ 5:36am
I realise this is a bit off-topic, but aside from what you've pointed out, was the Steam port experience a good one? I never played RF5 on Switch and have been intending to pick it up on Steam to play on the Steam Deck, which I expect would get me a similar experience.
Look, current times are current times, and in a game where you can marry from a big pool of npcs, it would be a little odd to dismiss a certain community.

What I find a bit messed up is that every character is romanceable by any gender, which makes everyone in the game bisexual, or whatever. In my opinion, in a game like this, there should be a mix of characters who are strictly straight, strightly gay, and others who are bi. This would make each character much more unique. Then again, I think every npc was originally straight, but due to uproar they updated the game to make everyone bi and called it a day.

Hopefully in RF6 we get more fleshed out characters and their preferences are unique to each one of them.
JorpleDorp 27 Sep @ 6:38pm 
It would be best if at the start of the game it would ask you what your preference was, and then set the other character's interests in you based off of that. You can get your bromance interactions, girls like me can have our gal pals without the awkward attraction, and tbh can you imagine all the fun kinds of female-male or male-female interactions under a strictly platonic setting?
If this setting existed, everyone wins.
It's annoying that this would be considered a controversial point these days. People need to calm the hell down about opinions. No worries, I totally agree. I wish there were options for certain relationship interactions at the very least. I really liked the male to male/female to female banter and friendship aspects of the last game. I wonder if this game could be modded someday? That would invite so much possiblity. Also, most of the men who aren't bachelors in this game are the most appealing to me. Totally sucks because so far I really like them a lot more than who's available. Most of the characters who have the most interesting and unique designs such as the face shapes and body types aren't available for romance. Really sucks honestly but hey, no real complaints about many of the personalities so far for most of them. I guess give or take a couple of annoying girls.
As somebody who really likes having same sex romance options in games like these I can fully understand your issue. I think a better way they should have done it is at the start of the game allow you to declare your characters orientation. That way if you like the same sex then the opposite sex will get flagged for friendship dialogues and get those bromance moments, same with more hetero characters getting flagged with same sex characters being more friendship than romance. If you like both then just have both sexes get all blushy with you or if you aren't attracted to either have both sexes flagged for friendship.
More options for players to control their experience is almost always a good thing.
Risky 28 Sep @ 1:37pm 
To fix it they'd probably have to write two scripts for every character and then do additional programming, scripting, qc, etc. Sadly, I don't think it would be economical.
Originally posted by Risky:
To fix it they'd probably have to write two scripts for every character and then do additional programming, scripting, qc, etc. Sadly, I don't think it would be economical.
Most games with player-selected gender should do this but don't, and griping/joking about that is common even without romance being involved.
noeinan 30 Sep @ 10:08pm 
As a gay guy, it is a bit annoying when all the girls blush around and flirt with me in game. And there are PC lines where the male character comments on his attraction to them/acts like an anime harem protagonist basically.

But, honestly, I'm kinda used to it? Because for decades I had to play as a girl to get to romance anyone, and before that there weren't even any male romance options nor did you get to play as a girl.

I think the game still is written and centered on straight romance (male character never has lines about how attractive other guys are, for example) and they just did bare minimum to make it possible to be gay.

Overall, it's a pet peeve but doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Originally posted by ハンターのリゾ:
What I find a bit messed up is that every character is romanceable by any gender, which makes everyone in the game bisexual, or whatever. In my opinion, in a game like this, there should be a mix of characters who are strictly straight, strightly gay, and others who are bi. This would make each character much more unique. Then again, I think every npc was originally straight, but due to uproar they updated the game to make everyone bi and called it a day.

A small game dev I follow does this, but lo and behold, actually it just makes people upset. XD They will complain that their favorite love interest is locked by player gender, and that the dev has to do a lot more work to give people the feeling they have options no matter what gender/sexuality they play. (Winter Wolves for anyone curious about the company. They do mostly RPGs and dating sims with anime style art.)
Konsaki 2 Oct @ 12:44pm 
Originally posted by Risky:
To fix it they'd probably have to write two scripts for every character and then do additional programming, scripting, qc, etc. Sadly, I don't think it would be economical.
You do know that the original JP release was a normal RF game for romance, right? M/F only.

When the rainbow brigade sperged out in the west, the devs actually broke the JP version when they overwrote the straight relationships to match the EN 'everyone is bi' relationships in a forced patch.
yeah localizer shenanigans strike once more. why arent all these departments mass fired, they should cease letting western companies localize and do it in house. also why do ideological bigots have to force their personal social politics on people of a particular space?

anyways another clear feature death of potential homosexual relations is the options of children expanding the game. because that would lock away an entire feature to "certain" players. in the end. it feel like another, planning a dinner with a vegetarian moment, you have to keep them happy but they do not care about your preferences
Kossori 2 Oct @ 4:37pm 
It would have even been easier to make a toggle at the start of the game than to rewrite the whole game to make everyone bisexual, but nothing less than worship will appease these types.

Reminder to directly tell the Japanese team that you don't want this ♥♥♥♥, the localizers will throw out your criticism. Use DeepL if you have to, but tell them directly. Nothing will change otherwise.
Originally posted by Legion Grimclaw:
yeah localizer shenanigans strike once more. why arent all these departments mass fired, they should cease letting western companies localize and do it in house. also why do ideological bigots have to force their personal social politics on people of a particular space?

anyways another clear feature death of potential homosexual relations is the options of children expanding the game. because that would lock away an entire feature to "certain" players. in the end. it feel like another, planning a dinner with a vegetarian moment, you have to keep them happy but they do not care about your preferences
They actually included a magical handwave to let you have children while gay, and quite frankly the pregnancies in this series are handled so unrealistically they might as well just do that for the straight ones as well.
Resultados de traducción
I agree... it's unpleasant, the worst thing is that in these games if you want all the achievements you have to play on both sides... inclusion and political correctness are fine, but don't go overboard... it's a game to enjoy...
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 1530 50